A tractor is one of the extremely important utilities in modern agriculture. They are adaptable and effective and add the necessary success rate to farming operations. The appropriate 4WD tractor or 2WD tractor for your field, and their attachments can be difficult to choose, but it doesn’t have to be a hassle.
Before purchasing a tractor, you must compare different models, and look into the specifications and features of the tractor you will be buying next. Tractors are indeed manufactured to meet a variety of farming needs. If you refine your options when purchasing a tractor, it will surely make your decision easier.
Know all about 4WD OR 2WD Tractors
The tractor and the specifications it comes under execute a variety of farm chores such as ploughing, seeding, mowing, and hauling, and help earn high-yielding outputs from the farm. Out of all the above needs and expected outcomes from the farm project, another important question arises while purchasing a new or used tractor- will two-wheel drive (2WD) tractor suffice for your needs, or do you need a 4WD (4-wheel-drive) tractor?
For the finest farming experience, one can consider what kind of tractor to get. Does a higher wheel drive result in more productivity? In many situations, 4WD is a major plus. However, 2WD has advantages of its own that shouldn’t be disregarded.
To get your questions clear, we will be examining the distinctions, similarities, as well as pros and cons of two-wheel drive and 4 wheel drive tractors in this article further.
What is a 4 Wheel Drive Tractor?
Tractors with four wheels are powerful, versatile, and durable. These tractors can haul a variety of heavy-weight tractor equipment due to the dynamic tyre movement. In order to boost grip, pulling power, and versatility, a 4 wheel-drive tractor has power in all 4 wheels. They can accommodate a number of tiny tractor attachments, making them perfect for a wide range of maintenance duties. These tractors require extremely low maintenance and are resistant to damage. In addition, these tractors have stronger, less easily broken tyres, lowering additional maintenance costs. No matter how hard the terrain gets, such tractors provide a smooth, consistent ride.
4WD tractors give power to all four tyres, increasing traction as a result. These tractors can also carry out a variety of tasks. For example, tillage, crop protection, slashing, loading, and so on. Not just the basic functions, these tractors can perform advanced tasks when paired with the appropriate tractor accessories and implements.
4WD tractor tyres provide a flexible experience and are easy to operate in muddy fields and uneven terrain under difficult weather conditions.
Benefits of 4WD Tractors
4WD tractors have become renowned in recent years as they are highly dependable. Here are the advantages of these tractors:
- Higher Traction- The choice of tyres significantly impacts traction during acceleration, road holding, and braking. Similarly, if you want maximum grip, 4 wheel-drive systems provide superior traction to vehicles in slippery conditions.
- Ideal for rough terrain- 4WD enhances traction in hazardous driving conditions such as snow, ice, rocks, and other situations when control is difficult. Traction and control improve as both sets of wheels are engaged. A heavier vehicle has a higher grip on the road. 4 wheel-drive is ideal for those who like off-roading.
- Versatile- The ability to tow large tools and navigate even the toughest terrain with ease is one of the main features of versatility. More than just power, four-wheel drives also have cutting-edge hydraulic technology, upscale amenities, and options.
- Long lasting- The tractor’s long life is assured by the quality material utilised in its manufacture. The transmission load is shared equally by the rear and front axle units. Consequently, the tractor has a lengthy lifespan.
- Transmission– A 4WD transmission system has a longer life since the load is spread between the front and rear axle components. Because they can run larger and heavier tools like the MB plough, Laser leveller, Large Rotavators, Disc Harrow, Power Harrow, Large Cultivators, loader, and dozer attachments, modern 4WD tractors increase productivity.
- High productivity- The 4WD (4 wheel-drive) tractors can efficiently run several heavy-duty implements like cultivators, loaders, etc. This helps in increasing the overall productivity of the project while preserving quality. As the 4wd tractors are capable of performing various farm operations under different land conditions, the productivity of the farm is quite high while using these tractors.
What is a 2 Wheel Drive Tractor?
A 2 wheel-drive tractor is a single-axle-powered agricultural machine used to raise various tractor implements, such as cultivators, rotators, and seeders. In dry farming situations where the fields are not overly muddy, wet or sloped tractors are advantageous. To enhance traction, these tractors rely mostly on the rear axle. In addition, these tractors use their weights on the rear axle to maximize traction.
They are generally used on farmlands where the focus is mainly on the machine’s operational capability, and the pulling power of the tractor is not a major factor.
2 wheel-drive tractors are ideal for sowing seeds, spraying fertilizer and insecticides, topping grasslands, and other tasks. These are typically utilized on farms where the tractor’s pulling capacity is less important, and the operational capabilities of the equipment are the primary concern
Benefits of 2WD Tractor
However, 2WD tractor is not appropriate for excessively muddy terrain but can handle most farming tasks. The advantages of 2WD tractors are as follows:
- Cost-effective price – The 2WD tractor price in India is a perfect fit in terms of monetary expenses for Indian farmers. Above all, small and marginal farmers can easily purchase 2 wheel-drive tractors with minimal investment. 2wd tractors are cost-effective and affordable for small and marginal farmers.
- Small turning cycle – The main benefits of purchasing a 2WD tractor are its low cost, easy construction, and short turning circle (mainly suitable for small areas). 2WD tractors can transport a range of farm equipment on a single powered and driven axle.
- Ease of operations – The 2 wheel-drive tractors have higher flexibility since they are simple to operate. Tractor navigation becomes simple. Simple to use and navigate. Work efficiently in dry environments.
- Suitable for primary farm functions – These tractors are useful in dry farming environments with moderately muddy fields. To enhance traction, these tractors rely mostly on the rear axle. Most farm tasks, such as topping, fertiliser spraying, seeding, etc., are best performed with 2WD tractors.
Applications used with 2WD and 4WD tractor
Both 2WD & 4WD Tractor have different applications used with them, mated with tractors, and used further to improve productivity, which helps the farmers achieve more work in fewer hours, easing the farming chores and increasing overall efficiency.
Applications of 4WD Tractors
- Tillage Activities
- Crop Protection Operations/Spraying
- the act of ploughing/mowing
- Application for Hauling
- Using a Loader and a Dozer
- 4WD tractor performs best with heavy-duty tasks with high traction when equipped with the appropriate farm implement attachments. As a result, you do not have to spend much money on additional farm equipment to get the farming functions completed.
Application of 2WD Tractors
- Purpose of Seeding/ Sowing
- Mulching/pasture topping
- Fertilizer Application
- In India, 2WD tractors are the best because of their narrow turning radius, sometimes more significant than power and traction for small and marginal farmers.
2WD vs 4WD Tractor
We have listed some points on the differentiation between 4WD and 2WD tractors that will make your decision clear-
Here is an Infographic differentiation between 4WD Tractor vs 2WD Tractor
Image – Table
In the below paragraph, we have briefly described the above-given key points to help you learn more about 4wd and 2wd tractors in a better and clearer way.
Difference Between 2WD Tractor and 4WD Tractor
|2 WD tractors lies between lower to middle segment price range and is quite affordable for marginal and small farmers in India.||The 4WD tractor lies between the middle and upper segment price range.|
|A 2WD tractor’s tyres incur unnecessary maintenance costs and structural damage, which reduces its fuel efficiency.||A 4WD tractor, on the other hand, has durable tyres that are less prone to sustain minor damage.|
|For 2WD tractors, brands are less widely available than for 4WD tractors.||Due to their increased strength and versatility, 4WD tractors are indeed the focus of tractor brands.|
|Considering that they focus on the main farming chores, 2WD tractors provide less optimal dynamics in farming fields||With their ability to handle more than just basic farming tasks, 4WD tractors have a wide spectrum of applications.|
|A 2WD tractor requires less pulling power because it is focused solely on the rear wheels.||In order to work at their highest pulling capacity, 4WD tractors set their sights on all four wheels.|
|In order to retain traction, 2WD tractors concentrate on the back tyres, which results in significantly less traction.||The 4WD tractors maintain a greater hold on the ground by pulling the tractor forward using all four tyres.|
Suitable for slopes
|2WD tractors are more suited to flat terrain than sloped areas.||Rugged construction of 4WD tractors makes them appropriate for rough terrain ride.|
|Farmers do not choose 2WD tractors since they must make more investments to get such tractors to operate at maximum capacity.||4WD tractors have gained widespread popularity with ongoing technological advancements. These tractors deliver the best outcomes because they are fully equipped with the most recent technical developments.|
|These tractors have a fixed amount of power, hence they are incapable of improving performance after a certain point.||Due to more advanced technology advancements, a 4 wheel drive tractor performs better than a 2 wheel drive tractor.|
|These tractors cannot achieve their maximum production because of their limited performance exposure.||Compared to 2 wheel drive tractors, a 4WD tractor maximises efficiency and improves agricultural production.|
|Tractors with two wheels can only complete a certain number of simple, ordinary field jobs.||When equipped with the appropriate tractor equipment, a four-wheel-drive tractor can be utilised as a powerful and adaptable farm machine autonomously.|
|Because of the lack of standard material utilised in their construction, these tractors require frequent trips to the service station.||A 4WD tractor typically uses less servicing because of its interior and exterior, which are both comparatively strong and rugged.|
If we summarise between 2WD vs 4WD Tractors, it is usually assumed that 4WD tractors are more adaptable and reliable. However, the cost of 4WD tractors is expensive for our small farmers. Although 2WD tractors are inexpensive, they have their drawbacks. A farmer can make a decision based on their needs and budget.
Hence, this detailed description of 2WD & 4WD Tractor will help you make a confined decision regarding your next purchase. For more information, visit Tractor Guru.